Friday 13 May 2011

Pickling

I've read alot about pickling and jam making and always wanted to have a go. So at the nursery where I work I was given an home grown cucumber, weighing in at 1lb. (A few thousand £s of hot house helps) Now we like cucumber as much as the next man, but we can only eat so much!

So, having tasted pickled cucumber before and finding it rather nice, I decided to have a go myself.


So I had a quick read in my Farmhouse Kitchen Cookbook, the receipe called for a number of spices, all of which I didn't have.

So I used good old Google and found you could get all ready spiced vinegar. Wonderful.

So off I popped to Tesco and did indeed find some ready spiced vinegar, which came in a jar suitable for pickling 2lb of winter veg as well, bargin.



Saved jars and sliced cucumber



Cucumber previously being soaked overnight, I think I might have overdone it on the amount of salt I bought, enough to last a life time there.


The finished result, I expect it will still be as nice without the fancy gingham covers.

No comments: