Friday 20 January 2012

Plum Cheese Making

I've read alot about making fruit cheeses, to eat with proper cheese. So thought I would have a go. According to my book Reader's Digest Food from your Garden, you use the softened plums which your have left from making jelly. I froze these plums last year with a view to doing exactly this.



I had nearly 3lb of plums, to which I added 6fl oz of water and left to simmer until very soft.
this took 3/4 qtrs of an hour.


Then you have to push the pulp through a medium sieve, I do have a sieve, no idea whether its medium or not, but having used a masher they were softer than I thought.


So I moved onto a sieve, I shouldn't have doubted Reader's Digest, they have been doing it for far longer than me.

After pushing half of theplums through the sieve, I transfered to a bigger bowl, which I should have used in the first place!

I ended up with 2 pints of juice, to which you add 1lb of sugar for each pint of juice, plus a squeeze of lemon.

Bring to the boil and stir.



I made notes as I went along, for future reference. That way I could see where I went wrong or perhaps what I did right.


This stage of simmering and stiring took a further 45 minutes. Its finished when you can drawer a line along the bottom with a wooden spoon.


Now comes the potting up into jars and ramekins. I think the idea of using ramekins is that you can turn them out. I'm too much of a chicken to try that. It does seem to be set but I don't want to end up with a blob on the plate. So I've frozen one of the ramekins and we will eat the other one first.
The others are in jars so will be fine for ages.


No comments: