Sunday 22 January 2012

Marmalade

First time for everything, this is my first go at making marmalade.


2lb of seville oranges


the juice of these oranges with the juice of one lemon


Squeeze the lemon and oranges, saving the very important pips.



Place the pips and pith in a square of muslin and secure with string.
I bought the muslin from a fabric shop, £2.73 per meter, rather than square from Lakeland.


Add the juice and slices of orange to 4 pints of water and suspend the muslin bag in the liquid.

Simmer for 2 hours.


After 1 hour, or there abouts of simmering.


After the full 2 hours comes the all important set test, after rapid boil for 20 minutes try it for test, of course it hadn't set. So I tried again after 10 minutes and it seemed better. I've read that it always sets anyway. I think in the past I've over boiled jam which has turned out very nice but rather hard.

Anyway all seems well and we have four nice jars of Marmalade.




1 comment:

...Nina Nixon... said...

Ooohhhh.....marmalade - yum!